Orange County News
OC man sentenced to 15 years in wife's murder
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- An Orange County man received a 15-year sentence on Friday for the brutal murder of his wife.
The former community college worker was found guilty of beating his wife, Marcia, to death after the two got into a fight in February 2010. Forsberg dismembered his wife's body, and then burned her remains at camp ground in Ventura County.
Marcia was a woman who clearly left a mark with those who knew her.
"My wish for Rick's sentencing would be that he would be put away for a very long time, and that the memory of him would be obliterated. Let him become the non-person he tried to make of Marcia," said Marcia's friend, Joanne Hanik.
Forsberg sat quietly as one friend after the next talked about the impact Marcia had on them. The 60-year -old was battling cancer, which took a toll on the couple's 39-year marriage.
Prosecutors tried to convince the jury it was first-degree murder, but in the end settled for second-degree, sparing Forsberg from the death penalty.
Calvin Schneider, Forsberg's attorney, tried to point out during sentencing that his client did, in the end, confess to the killing, and that he had helped another inmate get into a drug rehab program.
The argument did little to sway the judge, who sentenced the 64-year-old Forsberg to 15 years to life for the brutal crime, the maximum allowed for the second-degree murder conviction.
missing person, court case, murder, sentencing, orange county news, john gregory
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police 54 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- CA task force aims to control gun ownership
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation
- Police impersonator halts bus in Redlands
- Deaf Yorkie held for ransom is back home
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Virginia parade crash injures up to 60 people
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1 in OT of Game 3
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands
- OTRC: Kristen Wiig talks about missing 'SNL'