Orange County News
Anaheim school teacher accused of posing as girl, using Facebook to solicit lewd pictures from boys
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A high school teacher in Anaheim is accused of posing as a girl on Facebook to lure boys into lewd relationships. Zachary Reeder, 30, was arrested Saturday, accused of reaching out to teenage boys through Facebook and convincing them to send him nude photos.
"The way that he did that was by posing as a young woman and striking up a friendship with these victims. We believe that the way he selected his victims was possibly through his employment as a high school teacher and high school coach," said Irvine Police Lt. Julia Engen.
Police say Reeder was a social science teacher at Servite High School in Anaheim since 2008. He was also the director of basketball operations.
Servite officials released a statement: "We are taking this investigation very seriously and are working closely with authorities. Mr. Reeder has been terminated effective immediately. Please be assured, our highest priority is the safety and well being of our students," wrote Kelly Esperias, director of communications for the school.
Authorities say Reeder was also a walk-on assistant baseball coach at Beckman High School in Irvine for four seasons through last year. Police allege there are several victims, all boys, one as young as 14 years old.
"He established a relationship with them. That relationship grew more and more inappropriate in context and ultimately he would ask them for photographs and ask them to pose in sexually explicit ways and send photographs," said Irvine Police Lt. Julia Engen.
Police say they became aware after someone contacted by Reeder felt that he was acting inappropriately online and reported it to police.
"It's a possibility that the way he would select the individuals to befriend on Facebook may have been through knowing them or meeting them through his employment," said Engen. "So far in the investigation there's no evidence that there's been physical contact with the victims. Of course we do believe there may be additional victims that are not identified."
Reeder is a husband and father of a young daughter. He appeared in court Monday afternoon. He was in custody since Saturday.
The prosecutor told the court there are 35 alleged victims. Reeder is facing 110 counts, including lewd acts on a child and possession of child pornography. He reportedly told police he's addicted to the behavior.
Reeder was being held on $1 million bond. He is expected back in court on March 11.
If you have information related to the case, call the Irvine Police Dept. at (949) 724-7184.
arrest, orange county news, eileen frere
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 51 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal 27 min ago
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video 6 min ago
- Missing flight's last words were routine
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- Ukraine accuses Russia of military buildup 36 min ago
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Fitbit Force recalled over allergic reactions 35 min ago
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand 55 min ago
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons