Orange County News
Costa Mesa sexual assault suspect at large
COSTA MESA, Calif. (KABC) -- A search is under way for a suspect believed to be behind multiple sexual assaults in Costa Mesa.
Costa Mesa police are looking into two separate cases - one on Sunday, Jan. 27 and another on Wednesday, Feb. 13.
In the first case, an unknown male entered an apartment on Mendoza Drive near Mission Drive through an unlocked glass door at around 1 a.m. and attempted to sexually assault a 32-year-old woman. The suspect was scared off and fled on foot.
In the second incident, an unknown male entered an apartment on Valencia Street near La Salle Avenue at about 9:30 p.m. Authorities say there were no signs of forced entry, and they believe he might have gotten in through an open window. The suspect confronted an 18-year-old female in the bathroom, threatened her with a small knife and ordered her to keep quiet. The suspect sexually assaulted the victim and left the home through a window.
In both cases, the suspect was described as a black male in his 20s with a thin build. In the first incident, the suspect was wearing black pants and no shirt. In the second incident, the suspect was described as wearing a bandana to cover his face partially, a hooded shirt and unknown colored pants.
Several hours after the second incident at about 2 a.m. on Feb. 14, a crime scene investigator working in the area spotted a man who fit the suspect's description in the area of Mission Drive and La Salle Avenue. Authorities described this man as having a thin build, between 5 feet 9 inches to 5 feet 10 inches tall, wearing a dark colored hooded sweatshirt, baggy pants and sandals.
When the suspect realized he was spotted by authorities, he immediately ran from the area, possibly toward a flood control channel north of Mission Drive. Some residents tried to help police by chasing the suspect, but the man got away.
Costa Mesa police are warning residents to be aware of their surroundings and make sure their doors and windows are closed. If you see anything suspicious, you're urged to contact investigators at (714) 754-5252.
sexual assault, orange county news
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe 2 min ago
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions 21 min ago
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Man who pranked NFL coaches arrested by LAPD 9 min ago
- Informant speaks out on jail abuse probe
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- How healthy is flavoring up your water?
- Jenni Rivera plane crash: New details emerge
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke
- Shop for gifts in Downtown LA this Christmas
48 min ago
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
44 min ago