Orange County News
Mom of man in OC shooting spree appears in court for hit-run
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- The mother of a man who went on a deadly shooting rampage in Orange County last week appeared in court Monday to face charges in a different case.
Sarwat Syed, 42, is accused of a felony hit-and-run in June 2011 that left a 4-year-old girl seriously injured. Prosecutors say Syed was driving a GMC Yukon Denali when she hit a vehicle the girl was riding in, then did not stop to help.
Syed has pleaded not guilty.
Syed's son, Ali Syed, committed suicide after going on a deadly shooting spree in several cities in Orange County. The 20-year-old man shot a woman inside the family's Ladera Ranch home before fleeing and killing two drivers during carjackings, shooting up cars on the freeway and finally taking his own life.
Sarwat Syed's attorney said the family is cooperating with authorities in last week's case.
"The Syed family is devastated by the events of last week," said attorney Vincent Labarbera Jr. "The Syeds are victims in this case just as much as other people are victims."
shooting, orange county news, eileen frere
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean 3 min ago
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea 42 min ago
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere