Orange County News
Santa Ana intruder forces woman to cook him meal
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Santa Ana police are searching for a man suspected of breaking into two separate apartments and refusing to leave. In one case, he demanded a meal from a woman he held captive.
Gemma Lopez said she was at home with her baby when the suspect broke into her home around 7 a.m. Monday.
"He just showed up and he had a beer in his hand. He was just there, he didn't want to leave," Lopez said.
Police said the suspect stole $100 from her purse while she slept. He was confronted by the woman's son and calmly left the residence.
Later in the day, around 2 p.m., the same man is suspected of breaking into a woman's home in the same apartment complex as she was on her couch. He allegedly grabbed her and forced her to stay in her home.
"He tells her he's not going to hurt her if she does what he tells her," said Santa Ana Police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna. "That's when he asks her to make him something to eat."
As she was cooking, police say the suspect started smoking a meth pipe and then began taking the woman's picture with her camera.
After about two or three hours, he left the residence on her son's bicycle.
The suspect may be a transient that frequents the 1400-1600 block of East 1st Street in Santa Ana. He's described as an African-American man around 40 years old, about 5 feet 5 inches tall and about 165 pounds. He has a medium build with short black and gray hair. He was wearing a snow-type jacket, with a black hooded sweatshirt underneath with red writing or a logo on the front. He was also wearing blue jeans and white sneakers.
Anyone with information is asked to call Orange County Crime Stoppers at (855) 847-6227.
burglary, orange county news, leanne suter
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 14 min ago
- Nurse stabbed at Sylmar hospital; 1 arrested
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role