Orange County News
Santa Ana intruder forces woman to cook him meal
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Santa Ana police are searching for a man suspected of breaking into two separate apartments and refusing to leave. In one case, he demanded a meal from a woman he held captive.
Gemma Lopez said she was at home with her baby when the suspect broke into her home around 7 a.m. Monday.
"He just showed up and he had a beer in his hand. He was just there, he didn't want to leave," Lopez said.
Police said the suspect stole $100 from her purse while she slept. He was confronted by the woman's son and calmly left the residence.
Later in the day, around 2 p.m., the same man is suspected of breaking into a woman's home in the same apartment complex as she was on her couch. He allegedly grabbed her and forced her to stay in her home.
"He tells her he's not going to hurt her if she does what he tells her," said Santa Ana Police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna. "That's when he asks her to make him something to eat."
As she was cooking, police say the suspect started smoking a meth pipe and then began taking the woman's picture with her camera.
After about two or three hours, he left the residence on her son's bicycle.
The suspect may be a transient that frequents the 1400-1600 block of East 1st Street in Santa Ana. He's described as an African-American man around 40 years old, about 5 feet 5 inches tall and about 165 pounds. He has a medium build with short black and gray hair. He was wearing a snow-type jacket, with a black hooded sweatshirt underneath with red writing or a logo on the front. He was also wearing blue jeans and white sneakers.
Anyone with information is asked to call Orange County Crime Stoppers at (855) 847-6227.
burglary, orange county news, leanne suter
- Race for Los Angeles mayor too close to call 49 min ago
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete 55 min ago
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned 27 min ago
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1, series tied 2-2
- Trutanich concedes to Feuer for city attorney 59 min ago
- LA search-and-rescue on standby for Oklahoma
- Prosecutors shed light on Maribel Ramos murder
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- MJ wrongful death trial: Damaging emails surface
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10