Orange County News
OC shooting spree suspect, victim had no connection
TUSTIN, Calif. (KABC) -- A man who was gunned down in a shooting spree in Orange County on Feb. 19 appears to have no connection with the shooter, investigators said Tuesday.
Jeremy Lewis, 26, was shot and killed by Ali Syed, 20, at 1100 E. Edinger Ave. in Tustin just before he reported for work at a construction site. Detectives said they were told by a witness that Lewis received a phone call just moments before being killed.
Detectives said they obtained a search warrant for cellphone records belonging to both Lewis and Syed. After reviewing the documents, it was determined that there were no phone calls ever made between Lewis and Syed.
"At this point in the investigation, there does not appear to be any relationship between Lewis and Syed and the murder appears to have been a random act of violence," a Tustin Police Department press release stated.
The shooting rampage lasted for about an hour and spanned several cities. It began when Syed shot a woman at his Ladera Ranch home, then drove more than 20 miles across Orange County, shooting at vehicles on the 55 Freeway, carjacking and killing three innocent people, including Lewis, in Tustin and Santa Ana. Syed then killed himself.
shooting, orange county news
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 16 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- Missing flight's last words were routine 17 min ago
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic 29 min ago
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- CA DMV mulls how to regulate driverless cars
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings 13 min ago
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons
- Unbelievable scenes from Colorado car chase
40 min ago
- Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
39 min ago