Orange County News
Reward offered for Yorkie stolen from Mission Viejo parking lot
MISSION VIEJO, Calif. (KABC) -- A family pet was stolen from a busy shopping center Friday. The owner has made a desperate plea for her dog to be returned. A Yorkshire terrier, along with tens of thousands of dollars' worth of jewelry, were stolen from a woman's SUV at the Kaleidoscope Center in Mission Viejo.
Patricia Karns says her beloved "Pudsy" was stolen Friday. Karns says she took the 4-year-old Yorkie to a Mission Viejo shopping center around 6 p.m. She says it's a trip she's made with her dog many times before.
"I took all my jewelry off because I was getting a body massage," said Karns. "So I put it in a sunglass case, never dreaming someone would open it up and take that. And then my little Yorkie was in the back. And I went up for two hours to get a body massage, came back down and the Yorkie was gone."
According to the Orange County Sheriff's Department, the thief was able to use a special tool to unlock Karns' SUV and take the dog and jewelry.
"Some of these thieves are sophisticated, and they have items to easily get into the vehicles," said OC Sheriff's Spokesman Jim Amormino. "It's advisable not to leave your pet in the car. It's also advisable not to leave any valuables in your vehicle."
The sheriff's department advises the public to be on the safe side and leave valuables and pets at home when you're going to the gym, spa or mall.
"They leave their wallets and watches in, but crooks know that. We do have a number of car burglaries at gyms and spas for that very reason," said Amormino.
Patricia Karns says the value of the jewelry taken, which includes a couple of diamond rings and a bracelet, is valued at approximately $25,000. She says that can be replaced.
Karns and her husband are offering a $2,000 reward for the safe return of their dog.
"Just bring her back. Keep everything that you took. Keep it all. Just bring Pudsy back," said Karns.
If you have information related to this case contact Orange County Crime Stoppers at (855) TIP-OCCS.
animal news, burglary, orange county news, sid garcia
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten
- UK attack driven by radical Islam - officials
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins
- Model murder trial: Case in hands of jury
- Bill proposed to reduce night airport noise
- Injured volunteer wants thousands from hiker
- Prop D, limit on pot shops in LA, passes
- Okla. tornado tore through 13,000 buildings
- abcnews: US IDs 4 Americans killed by drones
- Arias jury stuck but must keep deliberating
- Curious about caviar? Class available in WeHo
- Virgin tops, Spirit flops in airline survey
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees
- ABC7 relief drive for Okla. tornado victims