Orange County News
Ladera Ranch boy escapes knife-wielding man
LADERA RANCH, Calif. (KABC) -- Orange County authorities are searching for an armed man who tried to assault a boy near an elementary school in Ladera Ranch.
The suspect, armed with a knife, approached the child on the 29500 block of Sienna Parkway at about 7:30 p.m. Sunday, according to Orange County sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino.
The boy was on the swings with another 12-year-old boy when the man approached from behind. One boy ran off while the suspect dragged the other boy about 15 feet away.
The man allegedly told the boy to remove his pants, and then ordered him to remove his boxer shorts. Amormino said at that point, the boy threw some wood chips from the ground into the man's face and fled.
"He did go into the middle of the street, wave down a passing motorist for help," Amormino said.
Amormino said the motorist called 911, but by the time deputies arrived, the suspect was gone.
The suspect was described as a Hispanic man and in his 20s. He was wearing a blue hoodie, blue jeans and sandal, with a bandanna over his face.
Just last week in Whittier, a man attempted to kidnap a boy who was also swinging on a swing set around the same time in the evening. That boy also managed to get away. The suspect was described as having a scar on his right cheek. Deputies are looking into whether the two incidents are related.
Anyone with more information is urged to call the Orange County Crime Stoppers at (855) TIP-OCCS.
City News Service contributed to this report.
sexual assault, orange county news
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Burbank stabbing leaves 2 in serious condition
- High-speed chase leads to arrests, 5 injuries
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report