Orange County News
Ladera Ranch boy escapes knife-wielding man
LADERA RANCH, Calif. (KABC) -- Orange County authorities are searching for an armed man who tried to assault a boy near an elementary school in Ladera Ranch.
The suspect, armed with a knife, approached the child on the 29500 block of Sienna Parkway at about 7:30 p.m. Sunday, according to Orange County sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino.
The boy was on the swings with another 12-year-old boy when the man approached from behind. One boy ran off while the suspect dragged the other boy about 15 feet away.
The man allegedly told the boy to remove his pants, and then ordered him to remove his boxer shorts. Amormino said at that point, the boy threw some wood chips from the ground into the man's face and fled.
"He did go into the middle of the street, wave down a passing motorist for help," Amormino said.
Amormino said the motorist called 911, but by the time deputies arrived, the suspect was gone.
The suspect was described as a Hispanic man and in his 20s. He was wearing a blue hoodie, blue jeans and sandal, with a bandanna over his face.
Just last week in Whittier, a man attempted to kidnap a boy who was also swinging on a swing set around the same time in the evening. That boy also managed to get away. The suspect was described as having a scar on his right cheek. Deputies are looking into whether the two incidents are related.
Anyone with more information is urged to call the Orange County Crime Stoppers at (855) TIP-OCCS.
City News Service contributed to this report.
sexual assault, orange county news
- NKorea deports captive American war veteran 9 min ago
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot 5 min ago
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- Robo-seal pups help patients fight dementia
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees