Orange County News
2 suspects shot after freeway chase ends in Santa Ana
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Officers shot two suspects in Santa Ana on Friday after a brief car chase. Both suspects have been hospitalized.
According to Santa Ana Police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna, the shooting happened just before 3 p.m. at 15th Street and Grand Avenue. The driver and his passenger led police on a brief car chase in a stolen tan Nissan Sentra on the I-5 Freeway following a traffic stop. It was not clear if the officers stopped the vehicle because it was stolen.
The suspects exited at Grand Avenue and crashed at 15th Street. Both men exited the vehicle and an officer-involved shooting occurred. Both suspects were shot, but one of the suspects was able to flee about six houses away before being apprehended. The two officers, said to be with Santa Ana's Strike Force, were not hurt.
Both suspects were transported to Western Medical Center and were reportedly in serious but stable condition. It was not immediately known if the suspects were armed.
Grand Avenue was closed south of the I-5 to 17th Street during the investigation.
Police identified the suspects as driver Travis Stuart Mock and passenger Jason Erling Hallstrom. They were booked for grand theft auto and additional charges were pending, according to police. Both men have criminal records.
shooting, officer-involved shooting, orange county news, eileen frere
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- LA Marathon: Ethiopian runners sweep race
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- San Dimas boat crash leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 30 min ago
- Los Angeles Marathon 2014 street closures
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks