Orange County News
Fullerton officer shot: 2 suspects in custody
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- Two people suspected of shooting and wounding an officer during a traffic stop Sunday have been taken into custody, according to Fullerton police.
The suspects are identified as Marcos Bush, 29, of Santa Ana, and Sjanee R. Duhart, 27, of Riverside.
Following leads, investigators went to a residence in Anaheim Sunday where they encountered Bush, who is the suspected gunman.
"Once they made contact with him, he fled from officers," said Fullerton Police Sgt. Jeff Stuart. "A short foot pursuit ensued, and during that pursuit the suspect discarded a handgun from his waistband."
Bush is a known gang member with a lengthy criminal record. He is facing charges including attempted murder of a police officer. Duhart is charged with being an accessory to the crime.
The shooting happened shortly after midnight Sunday at Woods and Knepp avenues located just north of the 91 Freeway. Police say the officer was shot as he approached a dark colored Pontiac Grand Prix. The wounded officer was able to return fire, but it was not known if anyone was hit.
Police later located the car abandoned on the eastbound side of the 60 Freeway at the Market Street off-ramp.
The officer, who is a seven-year veteran of the force, is in the hospital with non-life threatening wounds and is expected to survive. His identity has yet to be released.
Area residents are shocked that something like this would happen in such a quiet neighborhood.
Jay Shaw is nervous and on edge after hearing about the shooting.
"Where's this guy at? They say they haven't caught him yet," Shaw said.
Authorities say two homes in the area were hit by gunfire, including Henry Cruz's home.
"I was shocked actually," Cruz said. "I mean didn't know what to say."
No additional injuries were reported.
If you have any information that can help investigators, you're urged to contact the Fullerton Police Department at (714) 738-6800.
officer-involved shooting, orange county news
- Mandela honored by world, South Africans 31 min ago
- South El Monte hospital fire triggers evacs
- Blustering winds, low temps hitting Southland 4 min ago
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested
- 50-acre brush fire erupts near Moorpark
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- Hesperia house fire started in gas fireplace
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Mary Barra becomes 1st female CEO of GM
- abcnews: Senate extends ban on plastic guns
- How healthy is flavoring up your water?
- Lamar Odom pleads no contest to DUI charge 14 min ago
- 'Saving Mr. Banks' tells 'Poppins' back story
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus is MTV's Artist of the Year