Orange County News
Huntington Beach police shot, kill suspect with fake gun
HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A suspect carrying a replica semi-automatic gun was shot and killed by Huntington Beach police Thursday.
Huntington Beach police confirmed that an officer-involved shooting occurred around 4:30 p.m. at Warner Avenue and Hoskins Lane.
"The handgun was later determined to be a replica. The officer fired, killing the suspect," said Huntington Beach Police Lt. Mitchell O'Brien.
Witnesses say the incident began behind a restaurant where a man and a woman believed to be the man's girlfriend were arguing.
A police helicopter soon flew overhead after authorities were called in, as the man and woman headed toward a residential neighborhood.
Police wouldn't say if the man was pointing the fake weapon at officers.
"I think they should have done a little bit more investigation to see if it was a real gun because that's a pretty big mistake," said witness Derek Zeek.
Officers have not yet released the suspect's name.
The Orange County Sheriff's Department will now launch its own investigation into this shooting.
officer-involved shooting, shooting, orange county news, elex michaelson
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures peds 9 min ago
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison 1 min ago
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case
- 290 missing, 6 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- 3 'pimps' busted for Compton prostitution ring 5 min ago
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break