Orange County News
Man sets self on fire in Costa Mesa nail salon
COSTA MESA, Calif. (KABC) -- A man was hospitalized Sunday after setting himself on fire inside a Costa Mesa nail salon where his estranged wife reportedly works.
The incident happened just after 12 p.m. at Creative Nail & Spa, located in the 3000 block of Bristol Street. A 36-year-old Asian man walked inside, doused himself in flammable liquid and set himself on fire, police say.
Another man inside the salon put out the flames with a fire extinguisher. Costa Mesa police responded to the scene with paramedics. The man was taken to Western Medical Center with third-degree burns, according to police. He is listed in critical condition.
There has been no word on a motive, but police say the man's estranged wife works at the salon. She was present at the time of the incident.
One witness said she was having her nails done by the man's estranged wife, who is reportedly the salon manager, when the man entered and appeared distraught. He began yelling at his estranged wife in Vietnamese before setting himself aflame.
No one else inside the salon was injured, and the salon sustained minor property damage.
According to the witness, the estranged couple has three children together.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
orange county news
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged 44 min ago
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour