Orange County News
Santa Ana boxing coach sentenced in molest case
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- An Orange County boxing coach will spend two years in prison for sexually assaulting two 14-year-old boys.
Anthony Serrano, 45, met the victims through a Santa Ana boxing club.
He pleaded guilty to four felony counts of lewd acts on a child. He could have faced up to five years in prison if convicted at trial. His attorney said Serrano took the plea deal in part because he did not want the boys to have to testify.
One of the victims told the court he regularly attends therapy because of the trauma of the assault. Deputy District Attorney Keith Burke said that victim was molested by Serrano between April and May 2011.
The second victim was molested between May and October 2006, Burke said, adding that the boy reported the sexual abuse in 2008, but charges were not filed at that time due to insufficient corroboration.
In addition to his prison sentence, Serrano will also have to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life.
City News Service contributed to this report.
sex crimes, sentencing, orange county news
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- 3 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors