Orange County News
Working Wardrobes, Hero 2 Hired help veterans find jobs
COSTA MESA, Calif. (KABC) -- With the economy still struggling, new jobs are hard to find. Two organizations teamed up to help veterans find jobs and also put their best foot forward when applying for work.
Hero 2 Hired is a federal government organization that aims to make it easy for service members to find jobs with military-friendly companies.
H2H's mobile unit, a giant 18-wheel big-rig, was out in full force Friday at Working Wardrobes, a non-profit organization in Costa Mesa that helps U.S. veterans transition back into the work life in the civilian world. The event was held at the Working Wardrobes office at 3030 Pullman St. from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
"When they leave, they're feeling like a new person overall, because now, they have a site that they can go to and actually connect to employers who are actually friendly and looking to hire them as service members," said Sgt. Wayne Bowser.
Working Wardrobes has been a resource for job seekers for 23 years.
"We need to help them anyway we can. We need to train the veterans and we also need to train the HR executives," said Harry J. Humphries with Working Wardrobes.
The H2H program connects veterans to some 37 million jobs across the country offered by employers who value hiring veterans.
"It is pretty tough out there. I think there are a lot of people looking for jobs, especially for someone in the military, who has been in the military for so long," said Mario Bermudez, who retired from the Marines. "We know we can do the job but, you know, a lot of the time, we don t have that experience on paper."
u.s. military, jobs, orange county news, jovana lara
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail 43 min ago
- Lancaster pellet gun vandalism: 3 arrested 29 min ago
- 4 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez's sexy new music video
- Easy moves to keep hips strong and healthy
16 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
35 min ago