Orange County News
Working Wardrobes, Hero 2 Hired help veterans find jobs
COSTA MESA, Calif. (KABC) -- With the economy still struggling, new jobs are hard to find. Two organizations teamed up to help veterans find jobs and also put their best foot forward when applying for work.
Hero 2 Hired is a federal government organization that aims to make it easy for service members to find jobs with military-friendly companies.
H2H's mobile unit, a giant 18-wheel big-rig, was out in full force Friday at Working Wardrobes, a non-profit organization in Costa Mesa that helps U.S. veterans transition back into the work life in the civilian world. The event was held at the Working Wardrobes office at 3030 Pullman St. from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
"When they leave, they're feeling like a new person overall, because now, they have a site that they can go to and actually connect to employers who are actually friendly and looking to hire them as service members," said Sgt. Wayne Bowser.
Working Wardrobes has been a resource for job seekers for 23 years.
"We need to help them anyway we can. We need to train the veterans and we also need to train the HR executives," said Harry J. Humphries with Working Wardrobes.
The H2H program connects veterans to some 37 million jobs across the country offered by employers who value hiring veterans.
"It is pretty tough out there. I think there are a lot of people looking for jobs, especially for someone in the military, who has been in the military for so long," said Mario Bermudez, who retired from the Marines. "We know we can do the job but, you know, a lot of the time, we don t have that experience on paper."
u.s. military, jobs, orange county news, jovana lara
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker 12 min ago
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana 32 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC 59 min ago
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- VC suspicious death investigation underway
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- Cold weather brings flight cancellations
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis