Orange County News
'$5K Bandit' arrested after 4th robbery at same Los Alamitos bank
LOS ALAMITOS, Calif. (KABC) -- A suspect dubbed the'$5K Bandit' was arrested on Monday following his fourth robbery of a US Bank branch in Los Alamitos.
Police were called to the US Bank branch located at 10942 Pine Street around 9:14 a.m after a bank employee reported a robbery. The suspect demanded money from tellers and threatened them with a large butcher knife.
Employees immediately told authorities the knife-wielding suspect's appearance matched the same description of the man who had robbed the bank three times in the past.
An employee described the suspect to police as a muscular African-American man with a dark complexion, between 30 to 40 years old.
It was also noted that the suspect's clothing was similar to what was worn in prior robberies and it appeared to be the same or similar knife previously used.
The suspect was last seen leaving on foot in an unknown direction of travel.
Shortly after fleeing, an officer spotted a person matching the suspect's description driving a gray 2009 Dodge Charger at a high rate of speed west on Katella Avenue towards the 605 Freeway.
As the officer attempted to pursue the vehicle, the suspect crashed his vehicle into an embankment. That's when, police say, the suspect attempted to evade the officer on foot. The officer caught up to the suspect and a brief struggle ensued until fellow officers arrived and Tased him.
The suspect, later identified as Keith Alonzo Smith Sr., 41, of Long Beach, was treated for minor abrasions and charged for armed robbery at Orange County Jail in Santa Ana.
Smith is believed to be the same suspect involved in a bank robbery at the same bank on June 21, 2011, June 30, 2012, and September 12, 2012.
The suspect was dubbed the "$5K bandit" because $5,000 was lost in each of the prior individual robberies.
The investigation is ongoing.
bank robbery, robbery, arrest, orange county news
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested 11 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Indio High students, faculty tested for TB
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Calif. jobless rate continues positive trend
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Bejo's 'Past' character sometimes unlikeable
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)