Orange County News
Westminster hit-run suspect arrested at bar
WESTMINSTER, Calif. (KABC) -- A man suspected of fatally striking a pedestrian with a vehicle and leaving the scene of the crime was arrested last Friday at a bar in Westminster.
The hit-and-run suspect was identified as 45-year-old Derek Wright last Thursday.
A male adult pedestrian crossing Springdale Street outside of a marked crosswalk was struck Wednesday, April 17, at about 8:20 p.m. by a black Dodge Ram truck in the city of Westminster.
Westminster Police and OC Fire Authority paramedics were called as citizens performed CPR on the victim, who was transported to a hospital, where he died as a result of major head injuries. The victim was later identified as Westminster resident Shawn Keith, 34.
The truck was left at the scene. The driver, later identified as Wright, fled the scene on foot. A passenger in the truck stayed behind and assisted with the police investigation.
Employees of the Posse Bar in Westminster recognized Wright at the bar and called Westminster Police at 9:16 p.m. last Friday. Wright tried to leave but was detained by employees and patrons in the parking lot. Officers positively identified Wright and arrested him there. He was booked for manslaughter and felony hit and run.
Anyone who may have further information related to this incident are asked to contact the Westminster Police Department Traffic Division at (714) 898-3315 or Orange County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-OCCS or online at OC Crime Stoppers.
arrest, hit and run, car crash, orange county news
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions 20 min ago
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
25 min ago