Orange County News
Westminster hit-run suspect arrested at bar
WESTMINSTER, Calif. (KABC) -- A man suspected of fatally striking a pedestrian with a vehicle and leaving the scene of the crime was arrested last Friday at a bar in Westminster.
The hit-and-run suspect was identified as 45-year-old Derek Wright last Thursday.
A male adult pedestrian crossing Springdale Street outside of a marked crosswalk was struck Wednesday, April 17, at about 8:20 p.m. by a black Dodge Ram truck in the city of Westminster.
Westminster Police and OC Fire Authority paramedics were called as citizens performed CPR on the victim, who was transported to a hospital, where he died as a result of major head injuries. The victim was later identified as Westminster resident Shawn Keith, 34.
The truck was left at the scene. The driver, later identified as Wright, fled the scene on foot. A passenger in the truck stayed behind and assisted with the police investigation.
Employees of the Posse Bar in Westminster recognized Wright at the bar and called Westminster Police at 9:16 p.m. last Friday. Wright tried to leave but was detained by employees and patrons in the parking lot. Officers positively identified Wright and arrested him there. He was booked for manslaughter and felony hit and run.
Anyone who may have further information related to this incident are asked to contact the Westminster Police Department Traffic Division at (714) 898-3315 or Orange County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-OCCS or online at OC Crime Stoppers.
arrest, hit and run, car crash, orange county news
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Malaysia not sure which way jet was headed
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book