Orange County News
Garden Grove woman convicted for cutting off estranged husband's penis
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- A Garden Grove woman has been convicted of torture and aggravated mayhem for cutting off her estranged husband's penis.
Prosecutors said Catherine Kieu, 50, carefully planned out the July 11, 2011, attack. She drugged her husband following an argument after he filed for divorce. Screaming, "You deserve it," she cut off his penis with a 10-inch kitchen knife and tossed it down a garbage disposal, prosecutors said.
During trial, the 60-year-old victim testified that his penis could not be reattached and that he felt as though he had been murdered.
Public defender Frank Bittar said Kieu had been subjected to verbal and sexual abuse by the victim. He had also argued that Kieu had mental health problems caused by a childhood full of molestation and other trauma in war-torn Vietnam.
Kieu faces a maximum sentence of life in state prison with the possibility of parole when she is sentenced on June 28.
City News Service contributed to this report.
legal, orange county news
- US teacher killed in Benghazi: officials
- Fast food workers protest, want $15 an hour 3 min ago
- The Game raises money for family of slain boy 35 min ago
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver
- LAPD seeing fewer qualified applicants
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers
- UCLA police seek sexual battery suspect
- Cold snap moving across Southern California 26 min ago
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court
- Sebastian Ridley-Thomas wins special election
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film
- Oxnard nursery relieved plants didn't freeze
1 min ago