Orange County News
Garden Grove pot shops sidestepping ban?
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- More than 30 vehicles pulled up to Best Holistic Care in Garden Grove late Wednesday morning only to learn the medical marijuana dispensary had shut its doors.
After the Supreme Court of California ruled cities can ban marijuana dispensaries, Garden Grove sent out letters last week to warn more than 60 businesses that they had to be closed by Wednesday or face a $1,000-per-day fine and possible criminal charges.
"It's not worth it because they come in and it's more fines and more fines," said Ian Crawford, manager of Best Holistic Care.
One would-be customer, who only wanted to be identified as "William," said he has used marijuana for more than 20 years to treat back pain.
I knew it was going to happen," William said. "It's just pushing it back onto the streets."
William was handed a flier referring him to an Anaheim pot dispensary. Some Garden Grove stores that are now closed are offering alternatives.
With their stores shut down, more than 20 pot dispensaries are offering delivery service. Another business relocated to Santa Ana, while another made the move to Los Angeles.
Crawford said he worries about safety, fearing many medical marijuana users will now buy it off the street. He welcomes more regulation.
medical marijuana, marijuana, orange county news, eileen frere
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 3 min ago
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- 'Octomom' pleads not guilty to 4th charge
- East LA coach pleads no contest to molest 34 min ago
- Portion of 405 South to close for 2 nights 3 min ago
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Taylor Swift: Billboard's No. 1 money maker