Orange County News
Garden Grove pot shops sidestepping ban?
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- More than 30 vehicles pulled up to Best Holistic Care in Garden Grove late Wednesday morning only to learn the medical marijuana dispensary had shut its doors.
After the Supreme Court of California ruled cities can ban marijuana dispensaries, Garden Grove sent out letters last week to warn more than 60 businesses that they had to be closed by Wednesday or face a $1,000-per-day fine and possible criminal charges.
"It's not worth it because they come in and it's more fines and more fines," said Ian Crawford, manager of Best Holistic Care.
One would-be customer, who only wanted to be identified as "William," said he has used marijuana for more than 20 years to treat back pain.
I knew it was going to happen," William said. "It's just pushing it back onto the streets."
William was handed a flier referring him to an Anaheim pot dispensary. Some Garden Grove stores that are now closed are offering alternatives.
With their stores shut down, more than 20 pot dispensaries are offering delivery service. Another business relocated to Santa Ana, while another made the move to Los Angeles.
Crawford said he worries about safety, fearing many medical marijuana users will now buy it off the street. He welcomes more regulation.
medical marijuana, marijuana, orange county news, eileen frere
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour