Orange County News
Crystal Cathedral congregation gets new name
ORANGE, Calif. (KABC) -- The congregation of the church once known as Crystal Cathedral has a new name. It is now called Shepherd's Grove.
The congregation is moving next month after selling their famous building in a bankruptcy proceeding.
The name Shepard's Grove is a nod to the early history of Orange County, where orange and walnut groves were once prevalent. It also refers to Jesus as shepherd of the Christian faithful.
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange bought the giant glass building, which it is renaming, Christ Cathedral.
The Rev. Robert Schuller built the cathedral in 1980 to house his television ministry.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
orange county news
- I-5 through Grapevine reopens w/ CHP escorts
- Quick, cold front brings rain, chance of snow
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- 4 killed in OC crash; alcohol, speed involved
- Hawthorne stabbing: 1 killed, probe underway
- 87-year-old rescued from OC mobile home fire
- Manhattan Beach offers free parking downtown
- Oxnard home, vehicle hit by multiple gunshots 28 min ago
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- abcnews: Alleged cannibal ran hotel w/ grill area
- Mystery donor gives $50K to MO Salvation Army
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Brian the dog returning to 'Family Guy'?