Orange County News
Maribel Ramos' family accepts degree on her behalf from California State University, Fullerton
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- It was a bittersweet day for the family of slain Orange County woman Maribel Ramos, who was set to graduate on Sunday.
Ramos was supposed to graduate from California State University, Fullerton with a degree in criminal justice. But her seat was vacant. Her family was at the ceremony and received her diploma from CSUF President Mildred Garcia on her behalf.
"It means so much that you have joined us for this ceremony and we are honored by your presence," said Garcia. "Maribel was a vocal part of the CSFU family."
Family and friends couldn't have been more proud.
"It was a very special day," said Arturo Romero, Maribel's cousin. "My cousin Maribel deserved to be here. Unfortunately, this was taken away from her."
Ramos' roommate, 54-year-old Kwang Chol "KC" Joy, 54, is charged with killing her.
Prosecutors allege Joy got into a fight with Ramos after she told him to move out because he wasn't paying the rent. Authorities suspect there could also be another motive.
"He may have been infatuated with her and I don't know if that was necessarily mutual," said prosecutor Scott Simmons on Tuesday, when Joy made his first court appearance.
The Ramos family vowed to attend Sunday's graduation nonetheless. They wore Maribel's favorite colors white and pink to the graduation.
"It's been very emotional," said Susana Molina, Maribel's cousin. "We're here for her, supporting her. We're very proud of you Maribel. Everybody is here as a family to be here for her."
Ramos was described as a hard working student who was fully focused on graduating at the age of 36. The army veteran also served in South Korea and Iraq.
Joy's arraignment is set for June 7. He is being held on $1 million bail.
Ramos' funeral is set for June 2.
To raise money for the ceremony, Ramos' family are holding several fundraisers including a silent auction Sunday. The event will take place at Cantina Lounge located on the 2700 block of East Nutwood Avenue in Fullerton around 8 p.m.
For more information on how you can help, visit www.findmaribel.com/donations.html.
body found, arrest, murder, orange county news, q mccray
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 5 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- CIA improperly searched network, says senator
- Japan tsunami disasters: 3rd anniversary
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend 31 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M 53 min ago
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Elisabeth Moss: Armisen marriage 'traumatic'
- New technology monitors pet fitness
16 min ago