Orange County News
Maribel Ramos' family accepts degree on her behalf from California State University, Fullerton
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- It was a bittersweet day for the family of slain Orange County woman Maribel Ramos, who was set to graduate on Sunday.
Ramos was supposed to graduate from California State University, Fullerton with a degree in criminal justice. But her seat was vacant. Her family was at the ceremony and received her diploma from CSUF President Mildred Garcia on her behalf.
"It means so much that you have joined us for this ceremony and we are honored by your presence," said Garcia. "Maribel was a vocal part of the CSFU family."
Family and friends couldn't have been more proud.
"It was a very special day," said Arturo Romero, Maribel's cousin. "My cousin Maribel deserved to be here. Unfortunately, this was taken away from her."
Ramos' roommate, 54-year-old Kwang Chol "KC" Joy, 54, is charged with killing her.
Prosecutors allege Joy got into a fight with Ramos after she told him to move out because he wasn't paying the rent. Authorities suspect there could also be another motive.
"He may have been infatuated with her and I don't know if that was necessarily mutual," said prosecutor Scott Simmons on Tuesday, when Joy made his first court appearance.
The Ramos family vowed to attend Sunday's graduation nonetheless. They wore Maribel's favorite colors white and pink to the graduation.
"It's been very emotional," said Susana Molina, Maribel's cousin. "We're here for her, supporting her. We're very proud of you Maribel. Everybody is here as a family to be here for her."
Ramos was described as a hard working student who was fully focused on graduating at the age of 36. The army veteran also served in South Korea and Iraq.
Joy's arraignment is set for June 7. He is being held on $1 million bail.
Ramos' funeral is set for June 2.
To raise money for the ceremony, Ramos' family are holding several fundraisers including a silent auction Sunday. The event will take place at Cantina Lounge located on the 2700 block of East Nutwood Avenue in Fullerton around 8 p.m.
For more information on how you can help, visit www.findmaribel.com/donations.html.
body found, arrest, murder, orange county news, q mccray
- Secret Service probe Target security breach
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Man convicted at 16 resentenced under new law 55 min ago
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point 2 min ago
- White House panel urges limit on NSA snooping
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients 28 min ago
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds