Orange County News
Mickey's Toontown at Disneyland evacuated after apparent dry ice explosion
ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- Evacuations were ordered for the Mickey's Toontown area of Disneyland on Tuesday after an apparent dry ice explosion.
Anaheim police said the small blast happened around 5:30 p.m. in a trash can.
"A water bottle and some dry ice inside, they close up the bottle. At some point, the bottle fails and that what causes that noise," said Sgt. Bob Dunn of the Anaheim Police Department.
There were no reports of injuries or property damage, but some visitors said they startled by the noise."It sounded like a gunshot, but more full. It was sort of a boom and it was loud enough that it sounded very out of place," said Allen Wolf, a witness. "In an area full of young children and that's very cheery, it's not something you expect to hear."
Disneyland officials said the evacuation was conducted out of an abundance of caution.
The Orange County Sheriff's Department bomb squad was sent to the park as standard operating procedure and cleared the scene. Toontown was re-opened to visitors.
Investigators said it's not clear who left the dry ice, why they would or where they material came from.
"I don't know what the extent of the charges would, be but it could include fine, the bill for the response, up to including jail time," Dunn said.
Disney is the parent company of ABC7.
amusement park, disney theme park, orange county news, elex michaelson
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought 21 min ago
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD 15 min ago
- LA family seeks justice after deputy shooting
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail 12 min ago
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 1 min ago
- Arkansas tornadoes injure 5, damage homes
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'