Orange County News
Disneyland arrest: Employee arrested after dry ice explosion
ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- A 22-year-old Disneyland outdoor vending cast member has been arrested in connection with a dry ice explosion in Mickey's Toontown area.
Anaheim police say Christian Barnes of Long Beach was taken into custody and booked on suspicion of possessing a destructive device.
Barnes is being held on $1 million bail. Police say he is cooperating with investigators and has indicated that this was an isolated incident with "unanticipated impacts."
"We take matters like this very seriously and are working closely with local authorities," said Suzi Brown, spokesperson for Disneyland Resort.
Authorities received reports of people hearing a small bang in a trash can within Mickey's Toontown just before 5:30 p.m. Tuesday. Officers found remnants of a water bottle, which was indicative of a dry ice explosion, police said.
There were no reports of injuries or property damage. Disneyland officials said an evacuation was conducted out of an abundance of caution, and a bomb squad responded to investigate.
"We believe that this individual did act alone," said Anaheim Police Sgt. Bob Dunn. "We're not certain that he understood the full weight of what would happen when this did go off in the trash can."
If convicted, Barnes could be responsible for paying for the police response.
Disney is the parent company of ABC7.
amusement park, disney theme park, arrest, orange county news, sid garcia
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- India diplomat claims cavity search in NYC 36 min ago
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84 17 min ago
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present 34 min ago