Orange County News
Body found in trash can on Brea Canyon Road
BREA, Calif. (KABC) -- A homicide investigation is under way in Orange County after the discovery of a body in a trash can.
The body was found in Brea at Brea Canyon Road, near Central Avenue, on Friday afternoon. From the outside, it doesn't appear suspicious. Police said a driver who pulled over and lifted the lid made the grim discovery.
"He decided today to stop and investigate. Once he stopped to investigate, he opened up the trash can and discovered a body inside the trash can. He immediately closed the trash can and contacted the Brea Police Department," said Lt. Jerry Brakebill.
Detectives got the call just after 3 p.m. Police say the witness, who was driving a white minivan, had noticed the curbside bin where it doesn't belong for the past week during his drive to work.
"There's a lot of brush on the side of the road and gravel. It's a wilderness area, but it is unusual. It's not a place where you would typically see a trash can," said Brakebill.
How long the victim had been there and the cause of death will be up to the coroner to determine. Police will also try to trace the garbage can to an exact address, in hopes of finding the murder suspect or suspects.
"The trash can is off in a gravel area, where potentially the suspect would've maybe pulled up and unloaded the trash can. Therefore, we're looking for tire marks and so forth," said Brakebill.
Authorities have not released the gender, race or age of the victim. An autopsy will likely be performed over the weekend.
body found, orange county news, melissa macbride
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate? 31 min ago
- 4 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India 39 min ago
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez's sexy new music video