Orange County News
Severed penis case: Garden Grove woman gets life in prison
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- An Orange County woman convicted of drugging her estranged husband and cutting off his penis was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole. The judge said in his over 20 years on the bench trying various murder cases, this was as cold and calculated as a murder.
Catherine Kieu, 50, who has been incarcerated since the attack, will be eligible for parole in seven years.
The defendant walked into the courtroom in handcuffs and never looked at her victim as he read his impact statement. He told the judge that Kieu stole his identity and crushed his optimism for ever living a happy life in the future.
"It was traumatic," the victim told Eyewitness News after the hearing. "I'm hoping that this will be the last time I ever have to see her."
Prosecutors said Kieu carefully planned out the July 11, 2011, attack. She drugged her husband following an argument after he filed for divorce. Screaming, "You deserve it," she cut off his penis with a 10-inch kitchen knife and tossed it down a garbage disposal, prosecutors said.
The couple had been married for a year and a half before the crime.
During trial, the 60-year-old victim testified that his penis could not be reattached and that he felt as though he had been murdered.
Public defender Frank Bittar said Kieu was born in Vietnam and suffered mental health problems, growing up in a war-torn country. Bittar also said she had been subjected to verbal and sexual abuse by the victim, which the victim denies.
The defense told the judge that Kieu was remorseful for what she had done and asked for probation, which the judge denied.
City News Service contributed to this report.
legal, orange county news, christina salvo
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon 59 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 21 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East 38 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- CIA improperly searched network, says senator 49 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Japan tsunami disasters: 3rd anniversary 22 min ago
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Elisabeth Moss: Armisen marriage 'traumatic'