Orange County News
Saddleback College fire: Student dies in arson fire
MISSION VIEJO, Calif. (KABC) -- A student has died after being burned in an arson fire at Saddleback College in Mission Viejo.
The fire broke out in a lecture hall on the third floor of the school's Business and General Studies Building at 6:30 a.m. Monday. The 21-year old, whose name has not been released, was found unconscious but was revived and ultimately transferred to a burn center, where he died Monday night, said Jon Muir, a spokesman for the Orange County Fire Authority.
Investigators are trying to determine if the student deliberately or accidentally set himself on fire, or if he was a victim of arson. No other students were in the area at the time.
College spokeswoman Jennie McCue said the student was enrolled in the class that was supposed to meet in the classroom at 7 a.m.
The student had been enrolled at Saddleback since the spring 2011 and had a GPA of 3.23, McCue said. He was currently taking 11 units and was planning to transfer, she said.
Several classes at Saddleback College had to be relocated Tuesday. The fire left $400,000 worth of damage to the structure and contents.
The Orange County Fire Authority continues to investigate.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
fire, orange county news
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student 50 min ago
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US 5 min ago
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis