Orange County News
2 Arizona firefighters remembered at Newport Beach service
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Two cousins who died while battling the Yarnell Fire in Arizona were remembered in Newport Beach on Saturday.
Grant McKee, 21, and Robert Caldwell, 23, were killed June 30, along with 17 other members of the Granite Mountain Hot Shots crew. The team was overrun by flames. The crew's 20th member survived.
More than 300 people attended the public service at St. Andrews Church, including firefighters from Costa Mesa, Laguna Beach and Newport Beach.
McKee was engaged and planned to return to school after the fire season to become a paramedic. The former Newport Harbor High School student is remembered as a good athlete. He was a football player and a wrestler. Friends say Caldwell had married his wife, Claire, several months ago.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
fire, orange county news
- Multi-vehicle crash shuts down 405 South 19 min ago
- Paul Walker autopsy results released 2 min ago
- Fatal Baldwin Village fire deemed accident
- Mexican truck with radioactive load stolen
- Mom sought for abducting 3 kids in Palmdale
- Boy, 7, dies following Mid-City shooting
- Human skeletal remains found in Montebello
- Simi Valley neighbors found dead in front yards
- NY train engineer in 'daze' just before crash
- abcnews: 2 skydivers killed in AZ midair collision
- Newtown dispatcher told callers to take cover 5 min ago
- Baby falls out of stroller in wild robbery
- USC football coach Sarkisian takes helm
- OTRC: Kelly Clarkson new Christmas music video