Orange County News
Hundreds of protestors march against police brutality in Anaheim
ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- Families whose relatives are victims of police violence joined together Sunday for the Southern California Unity March Against Police Brutality in Anaheim.
The march coincided with the one-year anniversary of the fatal shooting of Manuel Diaz, 25, who was unarmed and running from Anaheim police when he was fatally shot last year.
Hundreds of people turned out for Sunday's rally and march in front of the Anaheim Police Department to ensure their voices were heard.
Organized by the California Statewide Mass March Against Police Brutality, 25 families of victims of alleged police brutality united for Sunday's protest. Nine of those killed were fatally shot by police officers in the city of Anaheim.
"We do not feel that this is the epicenter for any type of police brutality," said Anaheim Police Sgt. Bob Dunn. "We understand that people have concerns and some in our community have mistrust."
Those who gathered Sunday believe police brutality has become a nationwide epidemic. In the month of May, organizers say, more than 10 people were killed by police in Southern California.
Rosemary Duenez whose son was shot by police says it's time that police are held accountable.
"It's not just my son," said Duenez. "I'm joining because its our son, our families, our children who are suffering from police that just think they can just pull out a gun and shoot without finding a different method of containing them."
Several protestors who turned out Sunday were also demanding justice for Trayvon Martin but the main focus remained on ending police brutality.
Anaheim police say they have extra officers on duty and have plans in place if things do turn violent as they did last year with similar protests in the area. But organizers say they want their protest to remain peaceful so their message isnt lost in the chaos.
protest, shooting, orange county news, leanne suter
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95 1 min ago
- Jameis Winston won't be charged in rape case 34 min ago
- Fast food workers protest, demand $15 an hour
- Cold snap moving across Southern California 18 min ago
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner
- IE basketball coach accused of sexual misconduct 57 min ago
- Idaho school bus crash: 1 child killed, 4 hurt
- US teacher killed in Benghazi: officials
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- Manhattan Toy Quixel baby rattles recalled
- Photos: ABC7 viewers share holiday photos
- Bynes leaves inpatient treatment, says lawyer 30 min ago
- Banksy 'Flower Girl' could fetch up to $300K
- OTRC: 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' official trailer
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
17 min ago