Orange County News
Dana Point lingerie store fire: Woman gets 6 months in jail
DANA POINT, Calif. (KABC) -- A woman who tried to set fire to a Dana Point lingerie store in October 2012 following a breakup has been sentenced to six months in jail.
Jennifer Colwell, 43, of Dana Point pleaded guilty Tuesday to recklessly causing a fire of a structure. A felony charge of arson of property was dismissed.
Orange County sheriff's officials say Colwell was upset about a breakup when she took items her ex-boyfriend bought for her at the Intimate Obsessions store, put them in a bag and soaked them in gas. A deputy saw her setting the bag on fire and then throwing it at the business, located on the 34000 block of Pacific Coast Highway, according to officials.
Firefighters managed to put out the flames before they spread to nearby bushes.
Colwell will be on probation for five years after she is released from jail.
City News Service contributed to this report.
fire, legal, orange county news
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'