Orange County News
Dana Point lingerie store fire: Woman gets 6 months in jail
DANA POINT, Calif. (KABC) -- A woman who tried to set fire to a Dana Point lingerie store in October 2012 following a breakup has been sentenced to six months in jail.
Jennifer Colwell, 43, of Dana Point pleaded guilty Tuesday to recklessly causing a fire of a structure. A felony charge of arson of property was dismissed.
Orange County sheriff's officials say Colwell was upset about a breakup when she took items her ex-boyfriend bought for her at the Intimate Obsessions store, put them in a bag and soaked them in gas. A deputy saw her setting the bag on fire and then throwing it at the business, located on the 34000 block of Pacific Coast Highway, according to officials.
Firefighters managed to put out the flames before they spread to nearby bushes.
Colwell will be on probation for five years after she is released from jail.
City News Service contributed to this report.
fire, legal, orange county news
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Fontana suspect found after escaping from police 3 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...
- Stress management tip - call your doctor
40 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
35 min ago