Orange County News
Dana Point woman grazed in forehead in accidental shooting
DANA POINT, Calif. (KABC) -- A Dana Point woman was grazed in the forehead when her neighbor's gun accidentally went off during cleaning.
The incident happened at an apartment complex on the 25600 block of Quail Run at about 10 p.m. Tuesday.
The Orange County Sheriff's Department said that a man who lives in the complex was cleaning his gun when a single round discharged.
Laurie Horton said she was making a scrapbook for her granddaughter, when she heard a loud pop. She didn't see the bullet hole in her wall right away, but she did realize something had caused her forehead to bleed.
Officials say the bullet pierced the wall between Horton and her neighbor's condos. The round didn't go into Horton's apartment - only a small piece of shrapnel doctors were able to remove at an area hospital.
Horton says she feels extremely lucky the wound was so minor and will heal. She says she opposes gun ownership because accidents like this can happen. However, she doesn't have any hard feelings toward her neighbor.
The Orange County Sheriff's Department says the man who was cleaning his gun will not face any criminal charges.
shooting, accident, orange county news, melissa macbride
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- Los Angeles Marathon 2014 street closures 25 min ago
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done
- Beverly Hills High School gunman threat false
- Russia would welcome Crimea, says top lawmaker 16 min ago
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy' 3 min ago
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers) 44 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
36 min ago