Orange County News
Orange County arson fires: Person of interest cleared
ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- Authorities say the person of interest in a series of arson fires in Orange County was located and is not a suspect at this time.
The arsonist struck several times in Anaheim Hills on Monday. An eyewitness took a cellphone photo of an individual authorities called a "person of interest."
But on Monday night, the family of the person of interest contacted police. After speaking with the individual, he is no longer considered a person of interest.
But the arsonist remains on the loose. Richard Forgay said the flames came within 15 yards of his property.
"It was really scary. I started grabbing pictures and pulling things out of the home. It was pretty, pretty intense," said Forgay.
Then at 3 p.m., there was another fire in Yorba Linda. A half hour later, there was a third fire off of Weir Canyon Road. Flames were once again frighteningly close to homes.
"I could see flames shooting up. I grabbed my little dog and I grabbed my neighbor's dog, grabbed my laptop and ran," said Kim Nordyke of Anaheim Hills.
Investigators say there is clear evidence of arson, but won't say how they believe the fires were started.
Anyone with information was asked to contact Orange County Crime Stoppers at (855) TIP-OCCS.
fire, orange county news
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large 44 min ago
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner
- IE basketball coach accused of sexual misconduct
- Cold snap moving across Southern California 16 min ago
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle 7 min ago
- Over 2 million Internet accounts hacked
- Oscar Isaac can relate to 'Llewyn Davis'
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
19 min ago