Orange County News
I-5 crash in Orange kills 1, injures 4 others
ORANGE, Calif. (KABC) -- A flat tire led to a deadly crash on the 5 Freeway in the city of Orange. A man was killed and four others were injured.
The California Highway Patrol says an SUV got a flat tire, so the driver pulled over at the State College Boulevard exit off the 5 Freeway at about 9:30 p.m. Thursday.
That driver, identified as a 54-year-old man, was sitting on the rear bumper of the 2002 Toyota Sequoia while one of his passengers changed the right rear tire. Two other passengers were inside the SUV at the time.
Officers say that's when a green 1994 Lexus, traveling at about 60-65 mph, slammed into the SUV. Investigators say the driver of the SUV, who was sitting on the bumper, became pinned under the Lexus. He died at the scene.
The passenger, who was changing the tire, was transported to UC Irvine Medical Center with major injuries. The driver of the Lexus was also transported to UC Irvine Medical Center with moderate injuries. The two other passengers in the SUV were taken to Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center with minor injuries.
CHP officials say the incident was not a case of driving under the influence. The cause of the crash remains under investigation.
car crash, orange county news
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Japan tsunami disasters: 3rd anniversary 40 min ago
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence 53 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Taylor Swift: Billboard's No. 1 money maker