Orange County News
I-5 crash in Orange kills 1, injures 4 others
ORANGE, Calif. (KABC) -- A flat tire led to a deadly crash on the 5 Freeway in the city of Orange. A man was killed and four others were injured.
The California Highway Patrol says an SUV got a flat tire, so the driver pulled over at the State College Boulevard exit off the 5 Freeway at about 9:30 p.m. Thursday.
That driver, identified as a 54-year-old man, was sitting on the rear bumper of the 2002 Toyota Sequoia while one of his passengers changed the right rear tire. Two other passengers were inside the SUV at the time.
Officers say that's when a green 1994 Lexus, traveling at about 60-65 mph, slammed into the SUV. Investigators say the driver of the SUV, who was sitting on the bumper, became pinned under the Lexus. He died at the scene.
The passenger, who was changing the tire, was transported to UC Irvine Medical Center with major injuries. The driver of the Lexus was also transported to UC Irvine Medical Center with moderate injuries. The two other passengers in the SUV were taken to Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center with minor injuries.
CHP officials say the incident was not a case of driving under the influence. The cause of the crash remains under investigation.
car crash, orange county news
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker 6 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- Rancho Santa Margarita crash leaves 5 injured
- VC suspicious death investigation underway 46 min ago
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Cold weather brings flight cancellations
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis