Orange County News
Man critical after running across freeway lanes, stops breathing
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- An investigation is underway in Santa Ana after a man who was taken into custody suddenly stopped breathing.
Police say they approached the man near the Dyer Road overpass and the 55 Freeway early Sunday morning, fearing he was about to jump.
They say that's when the man, who was only dressed in a T-shirt and shorts, bolted back and forth across the freeway lanes.
They say he eventually decided to lie down in the southbound HOV lane.
"Officers at that time were able to take custody of him. There was a physical struggle when they took him into custody. When that occurred, the subject stopped breathing. Officers un-handcuffed him and performed CPR for a total of eight minutes," said Cpl. Anthony Bertagna with the Santa Ana Police Department.
The man was taken to the hospital in critical condition. In addition to the police investigation, the District Attorney's Office and internal affairs are also looking into the incident.
Officers say there was no shooting, nor was a Taser ever used.
freeway, orange county news
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous'
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood
- Compton big rig crash leaves woman dead 20 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
1 min ago