Orange County News
Man critical after running across freeway lanes, stops breathing
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- An investigation is underway in Santa Ana after a man who was taken into custody suddenly stopped breathing.
Police say they approached the man near the Dyer Road overpass and the 55 Freeway early Sunday morning, fearing he was about to jump.
They say that's when the man, who was only dressed in a T-shirt and shorts, bolted back and forth across the freeway lanes.
They say he eventually decided to lie down in the southbound HOV lane.
"Officers at that time were able to take custody of him. There was a physical struggle when they took him into custody. When that occurred, the subject stopped breathing. Officers un-handcuffed him and performed CPR for a total of eight minutes," said Cpl. Anthony Bertagna with the Santa Ana Police Department.
The man was taken to the hospital in critical condition. In addition to the police investigation, the District Attorney's Office and internal affairs are also looking into the incident.
Officers say there was no shooting, nor was a Taser ever used.
freeway, orange county news
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested 31 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Indio High students, faculty tested for TB
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Calif. jobless rate continues positive trend
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32 10 min ago
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)