Orange County News
Man dies after 55 Fwy incident in Santa Ana; victim identified
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A man who ran across the 55 Freeway in Santa Ana Sunday and then stopped breathing when taken into custody has died.
Raymond Curtis Runge 44, of Costa Mesa was taken off life support on Monday following the incident.
Authorities approached the man near the Dyer Road overpass and the 55 Freeway around 12:30 a.m., fearing he was about to jump.
That's when they say the man, who was only dressed in a T-shirt and shorts, bolted back and forth across the freeway lanes and then lied down in the southbound HOV lane.
The man stopped breathing when he was taken into custody following a physical struggle with police officers.
Officers performed CPR on Runge for a total of eight minutes before transporting him to the hospital in critical condition. He later died.
Officers say there was no shooting, nor was a Taser ever used.
freeway, orange county news
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests 24 min ago
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Reporter rejects Toronto mayor's apology
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- abcnews: Father, daughter recreate wedding photos
- Timberlake helps fan propose to girlfriend
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
18 min ago
- Illinois students spread joy w/ Dial-a -Carol
19 min ago