Orange County News
Anaheim Police Assoc. office manager convicted of embezzling $360K
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- A 47-year-old Whittier woman was convicted on Monday for stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars from the Anaheim Police Association by altering her paychecks.
According to a news release issued by the Orange County District Attorney, Cindy Ann Su'a pleaded guilty to embezzling more than $360,000 while serving as the association's office manager.
Su'a accomplished the feat by using a typewriter correction feature to change the figures on her paychecks after they had been signed by her supervisors, the release stated.
One year Su'a fraudulently boosted her $65,000 annual salary to nearly $200,000, according to the release. She also used the association's online banking to pay her own bills, it said.
Su'a's scheme was discovered, in part, because of her failure to file personal income tax for 2009 and 2010, which prompted a notice from the IRS to her supervisor, who noted Su'a's intended annual salary was much higher than it should have been.
Su'a pleaded guilty to 117 felony counts of forgery, 23 felony counts of computer access fraud and two felony counts of willful failure to file tax returns, among other charges.
She is expected to be sentenced to four years in state prison and ordered to pay $363,000 in restitution to the Anaheim Police Association, with $105,000 in restitution to be paid to the Franchise Tax Board.
Sentencing is scheduled for October 11.
Su'a's husband, 47-year-old John Su'a, also pleaded guilty on Monday to misdemeanor counts of willful failure to file tax returns and was sentenced to150 days in jail and three years probation. He was also ordered to pay $105,000 in restitution to the FTB.
orange county news
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital 28 min ago
- LA Marathon: Ethiopian runners sweep race
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd 7 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- San Dimas boat crash leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 3 min ago
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks