Orange County News
Fatal Santa Ana hit-and-run suspect charged, pleads not guilty
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A Santa Ana man pleaded not guilty Tuesday to killing two people in a vehicular crash and fleeing the scene.
Jorge Ocampo, 21, was charged Tuesday with two felony counts of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence, one felony count of hit and run with permanent injury or death, one misdemeanor count of driving without a valid license, and sentencing enhancements for causing great bodily injury.
Ocampo is accused of driving at a high rate of speed on Cabrillo Park Drive in Santa Ana at 10:45 a.m. on Saturday, August 24. He allegedly drove through the intersection of Cabrillo Park and Fruit Street without slowing or stopping.
Ocampo allegedly crashed the Audi sedan he was driving into a Nissan sedan that was making a legal left turn in the intersection. The crash resulted in the deaths of driver Alejandro Bravo, 54, and passenger Juan Jose Luna Castro, 50.
Ocampo allegedly fled the scene on foot without notifying police or paramedics of the crash and without rendering aid to the victims. Ocampo is accused of not having a valid driver's license at the time of the crash.
Ocampo surrendered to Santa Ana Police the night of the incident. Ocampo is a documented gang member on probation.
If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in state prison. Ocampo was held on $100,000 bail.
car crash, hit and run, orange county news
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Whittier police standoff forces evacuations 42 min ago
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing 26 min ago
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)