Orange County News
Fatal Santa Ana hit-and-run suspect charged, pleads not guilty
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A Santa Ana man pleaded not guilty Tuesday to killing two people in a vehicular crash and fleeing the scene.
Jorge Ocampo, 21, was charged Tuesday with two felony counts of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence, one felony count of hit and run with permanent injury or death, one misdemeanor count of driving without a valid license, and sentencing enhancements for causing great bodily injury.
Ocampo is accused of driving at a high rate of speed on Cabrillo Park Drive in Santa Ana at 10:45 a.m. on Saturday, August 24. He allegedly drove through the intersection of Cabrillo Park and Fruit Street without slowing or stopping.
Ocampo allegedly crashed the Audi sedan he was driving into a Nissan sedan that was making a legal left turn in the intersection. The crash resulted in the deaths of driver Alejandro Bravo, 54, and passenger Juan Jose Luna Castro, 50.
Ocampo allegedly fled the scene on foot without notifying police or paramedics of the crash and without rendering aid to the victims. Ocampo is accused of not having a valid driver's license at the time of the crash.
Ocampo surrendered to Santa Ana Police the night of the incident. Ocampo is a documented gang member on probation.
If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in state prison. Ocampo was held on $100,000 bail.
car crash, hit and run, orange county news
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet 59 min ago
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts 23 min ago
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist 59 min ago
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'