Orange County News
Massive fire rips through Santa Ana warehouses
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- More than 100 firefighters on Wednesday battled a massive fire that ripped through two Santa Ana warehouses.
Crews received a call about the fire on the 2100 block of South Anne Street at 1:16 a.m.
One of the warehouses contained hazardous materials used in beauty supplies, including acetone and alcohol. Some of those chemicals caused several explosions.
Officials say the business receives 55-gallon drums of raw, liquid materials and repackages them. The business also sells nail polish, waxes, lotions and hand soaps.
Firefighters believe a large stack of pallets caught fire. The flames then spread throughout the rest of the property.
A man working next door at the time said he heard a loud noise and then saw the flames.
"I heard a Santa Ana-like wind sound. It sounded like marbles hitting the building with heavy wind, and I thought is my building on fire?" said Paul Taylor. "I looked out and could see smoke curling up from the edge of our building on the far side of the engulfed building. That's when I backed up enough to see that the building next door was on fire."
A hazardous materials team also responded to the scene. After the fire was put out, fire crews were sprayed down with a special solution to decontaminate their uniforms.
Firefighters say this is an industrial complex, and there are no homes in the area.
No injuries were reported. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
fire, orange county news, q mccray
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Malaysia not sure which way jet was headed 32 min ago
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects 52 min ago
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building 55 min ago
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book