Orange County News
Car crashes through Barranca overpass onto 5 Freeway in Irvine, killing driver
IRVINE, Calif. (KABC) -- A single-car collision in Irvine killed the driver and caused roadway closures late Sunday night.
A Toyota Matrix traveling southbound on the Interstate 5 Freeway carpool lane exited the freeway at Barranca Parkway, crossed the roadway and crashed through the retaining wall of the overpass and fell onto the center median of the 5 Freeway at about 11 p.m. Sunday.
The driver, who was not identified, was the sole occupant of the vehicle. Irvine police officers and Orange County Fire Authority paramedics responded.
Barranca Parkway was closed between Irvine Center Drive and Technology drive for several hours by the investigation. Southbound I-5 lanes were also closed. All lanes were reopened after 4 a.m.
Traffic investigators are asking for witnesses to contact Sergeant Matt August at (949) 724-7023.
car crash, traffic delay, orange county news
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Mansion party arrests: Teens post pics online
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- 1 dead in small plane crash off Molokai, Hawaii
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- SAG Awards: '12 Years a Slave' leads noms
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate