Orange County News
Santa Ana beating murder suspect arrested
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A man was beaten to death in Santa Ana. Police say the suspect intervened on a fight between the victim and his girlfriend.
At about 9:45 p.m. Tuesday, Santa Ana police responded to the 1000 block of Walnut Street following a report of a man on the sidewalk in need of medical assistance.
Officers found a 24-year-old man who appeared to have visible injuries to his upper torso. Fire officials and paramedics pronounced the victim dead. He was later identified as Gustavo Avalos Salazar of Santa Ana.
Investigators say Salazar was involved in a verbal and physical altercation with his girlfriend earlier that night between 9-10 p.m. in the 1000 block of West Berkeley Street. Authorities say a complete stranger intervened and beat up Salazar.
Authorities say the suspect then drove Salazar to Walnut Street and dumped him on the sidewalk.
Santa Ana police tracked the suspect down and arrested him. Jose Miguel Avalos, 27, was arrested for suspicion of murder and booked at the Santa Ana Police Department. An autopsy on the victim is pending. Investigators do not believe the incident was gang related.
murder, arrest, orange county news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 47 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought 30 min ago
- Lancaster fight leads to double stabbing
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Calif. bill would ban orcas in SeaWorld shows
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere