Orange County News
Santa Ana beating murder suspect arrested
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A man was beaten to death in Santa Ana. Police say the suspect intervened on a fight between the victim and his girlfriend.
At about 9:45 p.m. Tuesday, Santa Ana police responded to the 1000 block of Walnut Street following a report of a man on the sidewalk in need of medical assistance.
Officers found a 24-year-old man who appeared to have visible injuries to his upper torso. Fire officials and paramedics pronounced the victim dead. He was later identified as Gustavo Avalos Salazar of Santa Ana.
Investigators say Salazar was involved in a verbal and physical altercation with his girlfriend earlier that night between 9-10 p.m. in the 1000 block of West Berkeley Street. Authorities say a complete stranger intervened and beat up Salazar.
Authorities say the suspect then drove Salazar to Walnut Street and dumped him on the sidewalk.
Santa Ana police tracked the suspect down and arrested him. Jose Miguel Avalos, 27, was arrested for suspicion of murder and booked at the Santa Ana Police Department. An autopsy on the victim is pending. Investigators do not believe the incident was gang related.
murder, arrest, orange county news
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- '12 Years a Slave,' 'Hustle' lead Globes noms 11 min ago
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- 1 dead in small plane crash off Molokai, Hawaii
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- SAG Awards: '12 Years a Slave' leads noms
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate