Orange County News
Santa Ana double homicide: Mom arrested for murder of kids identified
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Santa Ana police identified the mother behind the murder of her two kids in a Santa Ana hotel room Sunday.
Authorities say Marilyn Edge, 42, of Scottsdale, Ariz., has been in jail on suicide watch since her arrest Saturday.
Edge tipped off police shortly after they say she attempted to commit suicide in Costa Mesa by crashing her gray Honda Accord into protective poles surrounding an electrical box behind a shopping complex in the 2300 block of Harbor Boulevard.
Responding officers say Edge attempted to choke herself with an electrical cort as rescuers worked to free her. Police also found propane in Edge's car.
Comments Edge made to paramedics indicated a crime might have occured in the city of Santa Ana, nearly 6 miles away from where the 42-year-old woman attempted to commit suicide.
Her children's bodies were found inside a third-floor room at the Hampton Inn & Suites near the 55 Freeway and Dyer Road around 9 a.m.
Hotel guests and authorities were stunned at the gruesome discovery.
"Obviously, you know, for all the people who had to go in this small room and deal with the fact that there was a loss of not one - but two - and the fact that they're both kids' lives, it's something that happens way too much," said Santa Ana police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna.
After officers discovered the bodies, police obtained a search warrant late Saturday for the hotel room and worked overnight on the case, Bertagna said.
Police have not revealed any information on how the children were killed but said no weapons were recovered at the scene.
Edge is now facing two counts of murder for the killing of her 10-year-old daughter and 13-year-old son.
What the family was doing in Orange County remains unknown. Authorities believe the family is from Scottsdale, Ariz. Edge, however, was driving a car with a Georgia license plate.
The children's father lives out-of-state and was not notified of their deaths until Sunday.
The investigation is ongoing. Edge is expected in court Tuesday for an arraignment hearing.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
homicide investigation, murder, arrest, orange county news
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack 48 min ago
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest 6 min ago
- Cat rescued from 91 Fwy divider in Riverside
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer 44 min ago
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
33 min ago