Orange County News
Santa Ana double homicide: Arizona mom fatally poisoned kids
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Marilyn Edge was supposed to turn over custody of her two children to her ex-husband in Georgia Sunday, according to court documents.
"We were shocked, we expected her to run," said Marian Weeks, the childrens' father's attorney, "We never expected her to do this."
Instead, the 42-year-old mother was charged with two felony counts of special circumstances murder on Monday. Edge is accused of murdering her 13-year-old son Jaelen who had autism and her 10-year-old daughter Faith.
Police say she then tried to kill herself by crashing her gray Honda Accord behind a shopping center in Costa Mesa Saturday. She tried to strangle herself with an electrical cord as officers smashed the car window and pulled her out.
Edge told authorities about her two children who she left at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Santa Ana.
"We went to the room and found two deceased kids," said Santa Ana Police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna.
Prosecutors allege Edge killed her children with poison. She was charged with sentencing enhancements including committing multiple murders and murder by poison on Monday.
Why Edge came to California remains unclear but court documents show what was happening over the past several years.
In 2004, Edge sued the federal government alleging her son developed autism after receiving a vaccination. The case was dismissed in March 2012 due to insufficient proof. Six months later, according to court documents, Edge moved her children from Georgia to Scottsdale, Ariz.
After Edge's former husband was granted weekend visitation rights, his attorney says she was not allowed to take the children out of state.
Edge was also ordered to pay nearly $800 a month in child support. The payments were set to begin in two weeks.
The ongoing investigation is being conducted by the Santa Ana Police Department.
The 42-year-old is expected to be arraigned Tuesday around 10 a.m. She faces a minimum sentence of life in state prison without the possibility of parole if convicted.
homicide investigation, murder, arrest, orange county news, eileen frere
- Car rally to be held in honor of Paul Walker 45 min ago
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains 9 min ago
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- Rancho Santa Margarita crash leaves 5 injured
- Sleet, ice, deep freeze hit large swath of US 12 min ago
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- Auction features items from Nancy Drew author
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis