Orange County News
Mom accused of murdering kids in Santa Ana asks for death penalty
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A woman accused of murdering her own children made her first court appearance Tuesday in a Santa Ana courtroom, asking the judge for the death penalty.
Marilyn Edge, 42, was charged with two felony counts of special circumstances murder on Monday in the deaths of her 13-year-old son Jaelen, who had autism, and her 10-year-old daughter Faith.
When asked by the judge if she would agree to postponing the arraignment hearing to give time for a psychiatric evaluation, she responded, "Only if you promise me the death penalty."
The judge asked her again, and she had the same response. When the judge asked a third time, Edge finally said, "Yes."
Edge came to Orange County from Scottsdale, Ariz., with the her two children. Police say she crashed her gray Honda Accord into poles behind a shopping center in Costa Mesa on Saturday in an apparent suicide attempt. She then tried to strangle herself with an electrical cord as officers smashed the car window and pulled her out.
Edge told authorities about her two children who she left at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Santa Ana.
An Orange County coroner says the children were poisoned. According to court records in the Atlanta area, the father was awarded temporary custody, and she was supposed to drop the children off to the father in Atlanta over the weekend. Instead, she came to Orange County.
Edge's arraignment was postponed until Oct. 25. She was ordered to remain in jail without bail.
homicide investigation, murder, arrest, orange county news, sid garcia
- Target probe focuses on processing centers 42 min ago
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified 1 min ago
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- Indio High students, faculty tested for TB
- Lancaster woman found dead; sons questioned
- Calif. jobless rate continues positive trend
- Judge strikes down Utah's same-sex marriage ban
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled 16 min ago
- San Jose company recalls sausage products 6 min ago
- Understanding symbols on plastic containers 39 min ago
- Bejo's 'Past' character sometimes unlikeable 49 min ago
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)