Orange County News
Man fatally shot in Laguna Niguel; deputy, 2 others injured
LAGUNA NIGUEL, Calif. (KABC) -- A sheriff's deputy fatally shot a man armed with a knife after the deputy and two other people were stabbed in Laguna Niguel Tuesday night.
Neighbors said the chaos erupted around 7:30 p.m. in the 200 block of Chandon.
"We just heard some police come in with their tires screeching and everything, then we heard a little bit of yelling after that, and then a whole mag go off of the bullets one after another non-stop," said Yobani Salas, a neighbor.
When the gunfire stopped, the suspect was dead, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Department.
The deputy, who was stabbed in both arms, along with a man and woman, who were also stabbed multiple times, were rushed to the hospital. Their injuries were not life-threatening.
"The deputies responded to the location here for a call of unknown trouble. They also stated that there was a victim who had been stabbed lying in the street. Deputies arrived. At some point after their arrival, an officer-involved shooting resulted," said Lt. Jeff Hallock with the sheriff's department.
The violence has shocked residents in the normally-quiet neighborhood. They say there have never been any signs of trouble before.
"There was a domestic dispute between his son and his mother, and then it led to some type of an escalation, and there were multiple shots heard by the neighbors," said Robert Fair, a neighbor.
Investigators have not said what the suspect's relationship was to those victims or what sparked the violence. They say the incident remains under investigation.
deputy-involved shooting, stabbing, orange county news, leanne suter
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise 59 min ago
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Malaysia air force: Jet may have turned back
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building 40 min ago
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer 38 min ago
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book