Orange County News
Costa Mesa man arrested in death of elderly mother
COSTA MESA, Calif. (KABC) -- A Costa Mesa man was arrested Tuesday in the death of his 80-year-old mother in the home they shared. He's accused of manslaughter and elder abuse.
Robert Dickerman, 47, sits in jail for what he allegedly did to his 80-year-old mother, Yoshiko Dickerman, inside their home in Costa Mesa a year ago.
"Mrs. Dickerman was found lying on the floor in the bathroom where she had been for approximately two days prior to the police being called, and was lying in urine," said Costa Mesa Police Lt. Paul Dondero. "She was treated for dehydration and open sores and other medical conditions."
Police say she died in the hospital the next day. That was a year ago.
Investigators allege the home was untidy and cluttered. Robert Dickerman allegedly told officers his mother was combative. Her care took up much of his time. He began taking care of her in 2001.
"During the investigation we learned that Mr. Dickerman would at times restrain his mother physically using types of restraints to either a bed or a I guess you call it a 'potty chair,'" said Dondero.
Some neighbors say Yoshiko Dickerman suffered from dementia and would often be seen walking the neighborhood by herself.
Others questioned Robert Dickerman's ability to care for her. One neighbor recalled an instance when ran around acting odd.
Robert Dickerman facing charges of involuntary manslaughter and elder abuse. He's scheduled for arraignment on Thursday. If convicted he could face up to four years in prison.
arrest, orange county news, eileen frere
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 3-car crash
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role