CYPRESS, Calif. (KABC) -- A federal court has reversed a Cypress man's murder conviction in the bludgeoning death of his wife.
According to The Orange County Register, the three-judge panel for the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals reversed 75-year-old Marvin Vernis Smith's 2007 murder conviction, ruling that Smith didn't receive a fair trial.
Minnie Smith, 66, was found dead in the couple's home. Authorities said she had been beat to death with a metal fireplace log roller on Dec. 15, 2005.
The court ruled that a jury instruction violated Smith's right to receive proper notice of charges against him and prepare a defense.
The District Attorney's Office will request that the State Attorney General ask the U.S. Supreme Court to review the decision.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
murder, homicide investigation, u.s. supreme court, orange county news
- Senate votes to avoid default, open government 15 min ago
- Dodgers beat Cardinals 6-4 in NLCS Game 5 46 min ago
- Burbank cop accused of extorting gf's husband 33 min ago
- LAX airport worker confesses to explosions
- OC swim instructor sentenced for sex with teens
- Venice suspect says rampage was accident
- LAUSD superintendent wants iPad plan delayed
- Santa Ana winds sweeping through Southland
- BART trains running, strike averted again
- abcnews: Mom dies day after seeing daughters marry 34 min ago
- Wounded soldier's salute touches thousands
- Philippine quake kills at least 144 people
- Hall and Oates among Rock Hall of Fame noms
- OTRC: Mike Myers, wife Kelly expecting second child
-
Most Popular
-
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc7.com home
- Site Map
- RSS
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help
- ABC.com
- ABCNews.com
- Privacy Policy
- Interest-Based Ads
- Safety Information for this site
- Terms of Use
- Copyright ©2013 ABC Inc., KABC-TV/DT Los Angeles, CA. All Rights Reserved.





