Orange County News
OC man sentenced to 13 years in prison for attempted murder of infant son
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- A Costa Mesa man was sentenced Friday to 13 years to life in prison for the attempted murder of his infant son in 2011.
Joshua Robey, 26, was arrested in October 2011 and charged with attempted murder, torture and child abuse. Robey, baby-sitting his 2-month-old son, was recorded by a hidden video camera swinging the child around by a blanket tied around his neck. Robey also punched, slapped and shook the baby.
The baby's mother had set up a hidden camera because she suspected Robey was cheating on her.
The Orange County District Attorney's Office said Robey laid "Baby Doe" back down and punched him several times in the chest with closed fists. On multiple occasions he strangled, slapped and punched the baby and grabbed the victim by the throat with both hands, lifted him in the air, and violently shook him.
At one point while Baby Doe was crying, Robey covered the victim's mouth with his hand, grabbed him by the neck, and shook him in the air. He attempted to suffocate Baby Doe by covering the victim's face with a blanket and covering the baby's mouth with his hand for several seconds. He also covered the victim's nose and mouth with tape to suffocate the baby, according to the OCDA.
Baby Doe suffered fractured ribs, bleeding to the brain, and liver injuries.
Robey was convicted in August of one felony count each of attempted murder with premeditation and deliberation, torture, and child abuse with a sentencing enhancement for causing great bodily injury to a child under 5 years old.
child abuse, orange county news
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15 58 min ago
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Operation Crossover targets liquor thieves 22 min ago
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Solvang ordinance scare prompts evacuations 15 min ago
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break