Orange County News
Irvine man convicted in 2011 fatal drunk driving crash
IRVINE, Calif. (KABC) -- An Irvine man has been convicted in a drunken driving crash that killed a teen and hurt four others Memorial Day weekend two years ago.
Austin Farley, 28, was found guilty on Monday of second-degree murder and driving under the influence of alcohol causing injury.
In 2011, Farley was drunk when he ran a red light at the intersection of Culver Drive and Irvine Boulevard and crashed his pickup into a car carrying 14-year-old Ashton Sweet. Sweet suffered brain swelling, a skull fracture, a collapsed lung, facial, rib and spinal fractures and traumatic brain injury. She later died from her injuries.
Another 14-year-old girl in the car also suffered serious injuries, including a broken nose, rib fracture, a lacerated spleen and lung injuries. The adult driver and two other teenage girls in the car at the time suffered minor injuries.
Authorities say Farley showed signs of obvious intoxication at the scene of the crash. Approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes after the collision, officials say Farley had a blood alcohol content of .20 percent, which is more than twice the legal limit.
Farley pleaded guilty in a prior misdemeanor charge of driving under the influence in 2009.
He is scheduled to be sentenced next month and faces up to 21 years to life in state prison.
orange county news
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited 52 min ago
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant 3 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis