Orange County News
Garden Grove man tried to aid al Qaeda terrorists - FBI
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A Garden Grove man is accused of trying to aid al Qaeda terrorists. He made a first appearance in court Friday just hours after his arrest.
Sinh Vinh Ngo Nguyen clearly said "Yes" when the federal court judge asked him if he understood the charges against him.
The 24-year-old, a U.S. citizen, was indicted on charges of attempting to provide support to al Qaeda and lying on a U.S. passport application, including allegedly lying about his name, date of birth and his parents names.
The indictment states Nguyen is also known as Hasan Abu Omar Ghannoum. Authorities do not provide exact details, except to say he lied to facilitate an act of international terrorism.
According to the FBI, the Garden Grove resident was arrested Friday morning at a bus station in Santa Ana on his way to Mexico. Investigators say they believe he was traveling alone and are not aware of any continuing threat to the public.
In court, Nguyen entered a not guilty plea. The judge ordered he remain in custody on the grounds of danger and a flight risk.
The defendant's parents, brother and sister came to court and sat at one end and stared at him, and he looked at them, but they did not speak. His mother said the allegations are a complete surprise. His brother said the defendant converted to Islam about one year ago.
Nguyen is expected back in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles on Oct. 18.
arrest, orange county news, eileen frere
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins 26 min ago
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 6 min ago
- Coach pleads no contest to molesting girls 57 min ago
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- LAPD crash: Funeral services announced 28 min ago
- Portion of 405 South to close for 2 nights
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested 50 min ago
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book