Orange County News
Santa Ana crash leaves 6-year-old boy dead, grandma injured
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A 6-year-old boy was killed and his grandmother was injured when they were hit by a car in Santa Ana Monday.
Police say the 6-year-old boy was walking to school with his grandmother and a 7-year-old girl near Ramona Drive and Central Avenue around 8 a.m.
All three people were walking in the cross walk when the boy and grandmother were struck by a Ford F250 truck.
The truck was driven by a 17-year-old. He and his younger brother, who were uninjured in the crash, stopped. They are cooperating with police.
The 17-year-old told police he was taking his 13-year-old brother to Douglas MacArthur Fundamental Intermediate School when the incident occurred.
The 6-year-old boy was transported to Western Medical Center Santa Ana with major head trauma but shortly succumbed to his injuries. The grandmother suffered a broken arm and minor head trauma. She is listed in critical condition.
The 7-year-old girl was not injured.
Earlier reports by Santa Ana police stated the deceased child was 5 years old, but Eyewitness News has since learned the boy had recently turned 6.
orange county news
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- 3 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors