Orange County News
Santa Ana crash leaves 6-year-old boy dead, grandma injured
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A 6-year-old boy was killed and his grandmother was injured when they were hit by a car in Santa Ana Monday.
Police say the 6-year-old boy was walking to school with his grandmother and a 7-year-old girl near Ramona Drive and Central Avenue around 8 a.m.
All three people were walking in the cross walk when the boy and grandmother were struck by a Ford F250 truck.
The truck was driven by a 17-year-old. He and his younger brother, who were uninjured in the crash, stopped. They are cooperating with police.
The 17-year-old told police he was taking his 13-year-old brother to Douglas MacArthur Fundamental Intermediate School when the incident occurred.
The 6-year-old boy was transported to Western Medical Center Santa Ana with major head trauma but shortly succumbed to his injuries. The grandmother suffered a broken arm and minor head trauma. She is listed in critical condition.
The 7-year-old girl was not injured.
Earlier reports by Santa Ana police stated the deceased child was 5 years old, but Eyewitness News has since learned the boy had recently turned 6.
orange county news
- NKorea deports captive American war veteran
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- Smartphone apps for a better night's sleep
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees