Orange County News
Santa Ana crash leaves 6-year-old boy dead, grandma injured
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A 6-year-old boy was killed and his grandmother was injured when they were hit by a car in Santa Ana Monday.
Police say the 6-year-old boy was walking to school with his grandmother and a 7-year-old girl near Ramona Drive and Central Avenue around 8 a.m.
All three people were walking in the cross walk when the boy and grandmother were struck by a Ford F250 truck.
The truck was driven by a 17-year-old. He and his younger brother, who were uninjured in the crash, stopped. They are cooperating with police.
The 17-year-old told police he was taking his 13-year-old brother to Douglas MacArthur Fundamental Intermediate School when the incident occurred.
The 6-year-old boy was transported to Western Medical Center Santa Ana with major head trauma but shortly succumbed to his injuries. The grandmother suffered a broken arm and minor head trauma. She is listed in critical condition.
The 7-year-old girl was not injured.
Earlier reports by Santa Ana police stated the deceased child was 5 years old, but Eyewitness News has since learned the boy had recently turned 6.
orange county news
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- 287 missing, 9 dead in SKorea ferry disaster
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Solvang ordnance scare prompts evacuations
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break