Orange County News
Irvine swim instructor gets 16 months in prison for sex with teens
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- An Irvine swim instructor was sentenced Friday to 16 months in state prison and lifetime sex-offender status for sexual relationships with two teen girls, the Orange County District Attorney's Office said Tuesday.
Todd Roberts Sousa, 39, pleaded guilty to court offers in June this year and in October 2011 to 19 felony counts of lewd acts on a child, four felony counts of unlawful sexual intercourse, two misdemeanor counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, according to the OCDA.
Sousa must register as a sex offender for the rest of his life.
Sousa co-owned Swim Venture, an Orange County-based swim school and program for kids and adults and taught classes.
Sousa was convicted of having a sexual relationship with a 15-year-old girl he met while he was her swim instructor. That led to a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old female friend of the first victim.
The 15-year-old girl's parents learned of the relationship and contacted police. The parents also discovered the second relationship.
Sousa's mandatory lifetime sex offender registration will bar him from entering county recreational areas and city parks that have passed the sex offender ordinance.
sex crimes, arrest, orange county news
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies 8 min ago
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim 12 min ago
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified 10 min ago
- Indio High students, faculty tested for TB
- Lancaster woman found dead; sons questioned
- Calif. jobless rate continues positive trend
- Utah's same-sex marriage ban overturned 23 min ago
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled 40 min ago
- San Jose company recalls sausage products 30 min ago
- Understanding symbols on plastic containers
- Bejo's 'Past' character sometimes unlikeable
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)