Orange County News
Teen shoplifting suspects arrested for fighting with cop, attempting to steal gun
COSTA MESA, Calif. (KABC) -- The Costa Mesa Police Department received a report of "uncooperative, hostile" shoplifting suspects from a Ralphs supermarket at 380 E. 17th Street just before 2:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Three males and one female allegedly attempted to grab beer and run toward the exit. Store security captured on of the males and held him in a secure office. Four accomplices returned and attempted to break down the door.
The first responding police officer found a male and a female suspect physically fighting with the store's loss-prevention personnel and store employees near a cash register.
The officer separated and handcuffed the female. A second female suspect approached the officer from behind and attempted to forcibly remove his handgun from his belt holster, police said.
An off-duty female Orange County sheriff's deputy who happened to be in the store assisted the police officer in physically restraining and handcuffing the second female suspect.
The officer grabbed a nearby uncooperative male suspect, who then allegedly punched the officer in the face, according to police. The officer and a second arriving officer wrestled the suspect to the ground and detained him.
Other officers arrived and another male suspect was taken into custody.
The officer who was struck sustained a bruise and received stitches underneath one eye.
The four suspects were booked for attempting to forcibly steal liquor from the store, police said.
Two Costa Mesa girls, ages 15 and 16, and two Costa Mesa boys, ages 14 and 15, were booked on various charges including conspiracy to commit robbery, resisting an officer, assaulting an officer and attempting to take an officer's firearm. They were held without bail.
arrest, orange county news
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- India diplomat claims cavity search in NYC 10 min ago
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present 8 min ago
- Two smart watch models put to the test
44 min ago